Marc VDS Ford wins qualifying race
|By Gary Watkins
||Saturday, May 14th 2011, 14:04 GMT
Marc VDS Ford duo Frederic Makowiecki and Maxime Martin came from 12th on the grid to win the Qualifying Race at the Sachsenring round of the FIA GT1 World Championship.
Makowiecki had made it up to fifth by the time the pitstop window opened and then stayed out on track for four more laps. That tactic and a quick turn-around by the Belgian VDS squad enablde team-mate Martin to exit the pits in the lead.
Martin was challenged by Stef Dusseldorp in the best of the Hexis Aston Martins for the first few corners after his stop, but was able to use the superiority of the Ford GT around the 2.26-mile Sachsenring circuit to pull away. He took the chequered flag 6.6 seconds ahead of the Hexis car that Dusseldorp shared with Clivio Piccione.
Makowiecki said: "I was in a good rhythm so the team told me to stay out for three or four laps more. The guys did a really good pitstop and then Max his job."
Darren Turner and Stefan Mucke claimed third place for the Young Driver AMR Aston team. Mucke passed Warren Hughes, whose Sumo Nissan had jumped from fourth to third in the pitstops, with three laps to go.
The pole-winning All-Inkl.com Lamborghini led to the pitstops in the hands of Nicky Pastorelli before a slow stop dropped the car to ninth. Team-mate Dominik Schwarger hauled the car as high as sixth before an excursion through the gravel as he battled with Richard Westbrook's JRM Nissan left him seventh at the finish.
Results - 43 laps:
Pos Drivers Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Makowiecki/Martin Marc VDS Ford 1h00m22.375s
2. Piccione/Dusseldorp Hexis Aston + 6.683s
3. Mucke/Turner Young Driver Aston + 20.166s
4. Bernoldi/Hughes Sumo Power Nissan + 24.041s
5. Hohenadel/Piccini Hexis Aston + 33.083s
6. Westbrook/Dumbreck JRM Nissan + 34.907s
7. Pastorelli/Schwager All-Inkl Lamborghini + 38.325s
8. Campbell-Walter/Brabham Sumo Power Nissan + 39.397s
9. Winkelhock/Basseng All-Inkl Lamborghini + 39.884s
10 Muller/Enge Young Driver Aston + 40.376s
11. Luhr/Krumm JRM Nissan + 48.863s
12. Wendlinger/Kox Swiss Lamborghini + 48.991s
13. Clairay/Leclerc Belgian Ford + 51.058s
Nilsson/Janak Swiss Lamborghini 25 laps
Hezemans/Catsburg Exim China Corvette 4 laps
Hennerici/Leinders Marc VDS Ford 0 laps
Nygaard/Ickx Belgian Ford 0 laps