Kubica leaves Italian hospital
|By Michele Lostia and Matt Beer||Sunday, April 24th 2011, 08:48 GMT|
Robert Kubica has been discharged from the Santa Corona hospital where he has been since he was severely injured in a rallying accident 11 weeks ago.
Local news service IVG.it quoted a hospital statement as saying: "Robert Kubica is no longer at Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure. His condition is good and the driver will be able to begin a new rehabilitation phase outside the hospital.
"He will carry on being monitored by the Santa Corona doctors who had him in their care through scheduled appointments."
Kubica suffered multiple fractures and had his right hand partially severed when his Skoda rally car was pierced by an armco barrier in an accident on a minor rally in Italy at the start of February.
The Pole said earlier this week that once out of hospital he would rest before commencing rehabilitation.
"As soon as I leave hospital, I'll head to my home in Monaco for a short period of rest. Then I'll move to Dr [Riccardo] Ceccarelli's facilities in Italy where I will start a deep rehabilitation programme and a preliminary soft training programme," said Kubica. "The two programmes will gradually cross over based on the speed of my recovery."
Dr Ceccarelli has suggested it will be around August before it is clear if and when Kubica will be fit to return to Formula 1 with the Renault team.