Liuzzi completes Hispania deal
|By Matt Beer||Wednesday, March 9th 2011, 12:58 GMT|
Hispania has confirmed that Tonio Liuzzi will be its second driver this year, as the Italian's signing completes the 2011 Formula 1 line-up.
Liuzzi was on the market after losing his Force India seat at the end of 2010. He tested for HRT at Catalunya last month in what the team openly admitted was an audition for the race drive, and has now completed his deal.
"I am really happy to have signed this agreement with Hispania Racing," said Liuzzi.
"I never lost hope to be in Formula 1 as I knew I have the experience and the right attributes for a young and ambitious team. I face a new challenge now and this excites me. I also face a lot of hard work in guiding Hispania Racing through the development of our new car.
"I am extremely grateful to Jose Ramon Carabante and to Colin Kolles for giving me such an opportunity."
Kolles believes the experienced Italian will bring a great deal to HRT as it tries to get closer to the established teams' pace.
"I have known Tonio for many years as he raced with me in lower categories," said Kolles. "He is a very professional driver who will bring a lot of benefits to the team.
"I am convinced about his skills to develop a car and his speed. He has shown this in the past having contributed to a large extent developing and moving a back of the grid car to the front.
"I had the pleasure of working with him and I am very happy and proud to have him racing with Hispania Racing."
Liuzzi joins Narain Karthikeyan in HRT's 2011 line-up.
The team also confirmed that it will unveil its new F111 on Friday lunchtime at Barcelona.