WTCC opener moved to Interlagos
|By Mark Glendenning||Friday, December 10th 2010, 09:31 GMT|
The opening round of the 2011 World Touring Car Championship will move from Curitiba to Interlagos, this week's issue of AUTOSPORT reports.
WTCC promoter Marcello Lotti told AUTOSPORT that the switch had been made to form a double-billing with the Brazilian V8 Stock Car series.
"The race will be at Interlagos because we have reached a deal with the Brazilian Stock Car series to run on the same weekend," Lotti said. "I spoke with the promoter of Stock Cars, and they will do their race on the Sunday morning, and we will keep our standard timetable. It's very exciting.
"Also, the promoter is considering opening an S2000 championship in Brazil with the same rules as the WTCC, so it is a nice co-operation."
The move means that both of the first two rounds of next year's WTCC schedule have been changed, following earlier confirmation that the Buenos Aires round will be replaced by Zolder. Lotti said that he was confident that Argentina would be on the calendar in 2012.
"Argentina was not ready for next year," he said. "But my deal with the promoter for Argentina was done, and we hope to race there in 2012."
Meanwhile, the Chinese race at Guangdong in November, which had been listed as provisional, is expected to be confirmed in the coming days.