Briscoe thrilled to retain Penske seat
|By Matt Beer||Wednesday, December 8th 2010, 15:05 GMT|
Ryan Briscoe has described the extension of his deal with Penske as a "huge" boost, as a series of new sponsor announcements allowed the team to confirm that it would run its full three-car line-up throughout the 2011 season.
There had briefly been doubt over whether Briscoe would be retained alongside Will Power and Helio Castroneves as the team hunted for new sponsorship.
But Penske has recently revealed several new deals, including the arrival of IndyCar Series title sponsor IZOD as primary backer for Briscoe's car at several events, including the Indianapolis 500. IZOD had earlier announced that it would scale back its sponsorship of Ryan Hunter-Reay's Andretti Autosport entry.
Briscoe said: "It's huge. And just to be associated with Team Penske is an amazing feeling.
"I mean, ever since I came to the team back in 2007, you really feel like you've reached the pinnacle. They're the best. And no driver would want to be anywhere else.
"And to be able to keep this relationship going, for me it's so important."
He added that the recent sponsor boosts had been massively encouraging for Penske as it fights to try and reclaim the IndyCar title - which it last won with Sam Hornish Jr in 2006.
"Getting these announcements coming out, having so much momentum with the team and the sponsors coming on board, it's really keeping everyone fired up on the team," said Briscoe.
"Especially myself. But all the engineers, all the mechanics, everyone's really excited about next year.
"We just missed out on the championship this year, but we don't want to let another one slip by.
"And I just can't wait. I'm just so excited for many reasons. And the first to be back with Team Penske with this opportunity and then now to be carrying the IZOD brand, it's just huge."