Webber vows to try again next year
|By Matt Beer
||Sunday, November 14th 2010, 15:30 GMT
Mark Webber says he will definitely be back fighting for the world championship with Red Bull again in 2011 after his near-miss this season, and congratulated his team-mate Sebastian Vettel on snatching the 2010 title in Abu Dhabi.
Webber had led the standings for much of the year, but a costly crash in Korea and a lowly eighth-place finish today after his strategy left him stuck in traffic saw him fall to third in the standings.
Asked by the BBC if he would definitely be back to try again with the team in 2011, Webber replied: "Yes".
He added: "I fully congratulate Seb on the world championship.
"There were a lot of positives this year. This weekend didn't turn out and it's a shame.
"There's good time to reflect in the next few weeks and look at the highs and the lows, but that's the way sport is sometimes.
"There are quite a few emotions of course when you come so close to the top and you just miss out. I tried my absolute hardest. I have great guys around me and we did what we could, but at the end it wasn't enough and that's where it's at.
"Two championships for the team is not a bad year for us."
Webber had no complaints about the decision to make an early pitstop for hard tyres, even though it left him stuck behind drivers who had pitted under the early safety car period.
He said it had been worth the gamble as he had only been running fifth at that point, and pointed out that by luring Fernando Alonso into following the same unsuccessful strategy, he ended up helping Vettel beat the Ferrari driver to the title.
"Early in the race obviously we had to make a few calls to get out of that position we were in. It wasn't too bad till then," said Webber.
"Going for the harder tyre pretty early obviously hurt Fernando because he had to cover me off, so in a way it was a bit of a team effort I suppose, but obviously I didn't get the result I wanted."