ART locks out front row at Monza
|By Mark Glendenning
||Friday, September 10th 2010, 14:50 GMT
ART Grand Prix has locked out the front row for tomorrow's GP2 feature race at Monza, with Jules Bianchi edging out team-mate Sam Bird in today's qualifying session.
Bianchi established himself at the top with a 1m30.269s early on and was never bettered, with Bird falling just 0.042s shy of the Frenchman's time. Jerome D'Ambrosio will start from third for DAMS alongside iSport's Oliver Turvey.
Points leader Pastor Maldonado provided the only real drama of the session when he spun after catching too much kerb at the first chicane and beached himself, bringing out the red flag with six minutes remaining.
The Venezuelan had been trying to improve upon seventh at the time, and considering that he only lost one position after the session restarted, the outcome certainly could have been worse from his point of view.
Maldonado's cause was helped by two yellow flags during the final five minutes, including one triggered by Adrian Zaugg going off at the Parabolica in the final moments of the session, that made it extremely difficult for anyone to lower their times.
Title contender Sergio Perez was among those unable to capitalise on his misfortune and will start alongside the Rapax driver in seventh, with Coloni's Alvaro Parente and DAMS' Romain Grosjean on the third row just ahead of them.
Coloni's Brendon Hartley was the quickest of the series debutants in 22nd, leaving Trident's Edoardo Piscopo to start from 24th.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Jules Bianchi ART 1m30.269s
2. Sam Bird ART 1m30.311s +0.042
3. Jerome D'Ambrosio DAMS 1m30.366s +0.097
4. Oliver Turvey iSport 1m30.468s +0.199
5. Alvaro Parente Coloni 1m30.474s +0.205
6. Romain Grosjean DAMS 1m30.542s +0.273
7. Sergio Perez Addax 1m30.555s +0.286
8. Pastor Maldonado Rapax 1m30.675s +0.406
9. Daniel Clos Racing Engineering 1m30.682s +0.413
10. Christian Vietoris Racing Engineering 1m30.687s +0.418
11. Luca Filippi Super Nova 1m30.691s +0.422
12. Davide Valsecchi iSport 1m30.714s +0.445
13. Fabrizio Crestani DPR 1m30.801s +0.532
14. Giedo van der Garde Addax 1m30.894s +0.625
15. Luiz Razia Rapax 1m31.107s +0.838
16. Charles Pic Arden 1m31.131s +0.862
17. Adrian Zaugg Trident 1m31.246s +0.977
18. Fabio Leimer Ocean 1m31.255s +0.986
19. Marcus Ericsson Super Nova 1m31.372s +1.103
20. Rodolfo Gonzalez Arden 1m31.439s +1.170
21. Michael Herck DPR 1m31.458s +1.189
22. Brendon Hartley Coloni 1m31.601s +1.332
23. Max Chilton Ocean 1m31.667s +1.398
24. Edoardo Piscopo Trident 1m32.100s +1.831