Sauber retains Kobayashi for 2011
|By Pablo Elizalde||Tuesday, September 7th 2010, 06:11 GMT|
The Sauber team announced on Tuesday morning that Kamui Kobayashi will remain with the Swiss squad in the 2011 season.
The 24-year-old Japanese driver has put on some impressive performances this year, having scored 21 points so far despite having competed in just 15 grands prix.
"We enjoy having our rookie as part of the team - both as a driver and a person," said team principal Peter Sauber.
"We never had any doubts about working with him again in 2011.
"Kamui has definitely fulfilled our expectations in terms of his speed and fighting spirit. Plus, his work with the engineers and his technical understanding has also developed very well.
"The experience he has built up over his first full season in Formula One will certainly stand him in good stead for 2011. And our aim is to give him a fast and reliable car from the outset next season."
Kobayashi made his grand prix racing debut with the Toyota team in the 2009 Brazilian Grand Prix and went on to finish in sixth position in his second race in Abu Dhabi.
"We had a very difficult start to the season, but we've worked together to pull ourselves out of that situation," Kobayashi said. "I feel very much at home in Peter Sauber's team and am very pleased we'll be working together again in 2011.
"However, for now I'm focusing one-hundred per cent on this year. There are still six grand prix weekends to go in 2010, and we'll be hoping to make up more ground."
Sauber said the team's second driver for 2011 will be announced at a later date.
Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa has been Kobayashi's team-mate this year.