Sordo in talks over Ford switch
|By David Evans||Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 13:29 GMT|
Citroen driver Dani Sordo says he has not yet confirmed his future plans with the French manufacturer - with a switch to the Ford team still believed to be a possibility for the Spaniard.
Sordo is believed to have received a formal offer from Citroen, but while he has talked to Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson and motorsport chief Gerard Quinn, he says he has not received an offer from the Cumbrian-based outfit.
Sordo said: "We talk [to Ford], but it's just like we are talking now, nothing official," he said. "Citroen has made me an offer. I don't know what will happen."
Quinn refused to be drawn on Ford's plans for next season, beyond admitting the team is still looking for an extra driver to come in and strengthen the team. He said: "This is something we're still working on.
"We're looking for opportunities to strengthen our competitive advantage. We're still in discussions with a number of additional drivers and making an assessment of what we can do for next season. Right now they are private discussions which we would prefer not to take any further. But certainly we're looking for ways to improve our competitive strength."
Quinn declined to comment on whether an additional driver would come in as a third member of the works Ford team or if they would run in the Stobart squad. It is known, however, that Ford is interested in Sordo - particularly for the asphalt rallies.
Quesnel admitted the process of making Sordo's offer had been slowed down by the holiday period. He said: "Dani is part of the Citroen family and I told him this. I want him to stay with us, like I did with the two Sebs [Loeb and Ogier].
"But now it is the holiday and there is nobody in the company [to confirm the agreement for Sordo], but for me I am confident for him."