Kubica to stay at Renault through 2012
|By Matt Beer||Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 11:09 GMT|
Robert Kubica has extended his deal with Renault through to the end of 2012, the team has announced.
The Pole joined Renault from BMW Sauber this season, and has spearheaded a resurgence that has seen Renault get ever closer to the title contenders, taking podium finishes in Australia and Monaco.
Kubica had been linked to a Ferrari move before Felipe Massa was re-signed earlier this year, and rumours had also suggested a potential Mercedes deal, but he has now committed to Renault for a further two years.
"It was a straightforward decision for me to continue with a team where I feel at home," said Kubica. "What's important for me is to be in the right atmosphere, with a good group of people, where everybody is pulling in the same direction. This is what we have tried to build from the beginning of my time with Renault.
"I think we have already achieved a lot together, and I believe that with plenty of effort, time and the right approach, we can move even further forward. That is certainly our target, so we will keep working hard and pushing on every front, not just for the rest of this season but also for next year when there are more big rule changes on the way. I am really looking forward to the challenge."
Team boss Eric Boullier said retaining Kubica was critical to its ambitions to return to title contention - especially as he had been at the centre of this year's 'silly season' speculation.
"We are delighted that Robert will remain with us for the next two seasons and I would like to thank him for the faith he has shown in this team," said Boullier.
"There have been many rumours surrounding his future in recent weeks, which were a tribute to how well he has driven this year, and we are very happy to have agreed a multi-year deal.
"Our clear goal is to become title contenders over the next two years. To do so, we need a driver of Robert's calibre: somebody who is fast, totally committed and doesn't make mistakes. His performances during the first half of the 2010 season were flawless, and we hope to achieve great things together in the future."
Renault has yet to announce who will drive its second car, currently occupied by rookie Vitaly Petrov, in 2011.