Lorenzo open-minded on 2011 situation
|By James Buckfield and David Emmett||Friday, June 25th 2010, 10:24 GMT|
Jorge Lorenzo has not ruled out a move away from Yamaha for 2011 but says that having Valentino Rossi competing against him on the same bike is "perfect".
Although the Spaniard reiterated his desire to stay with the Japanese manufacturer, he has left the door open to the other options should the injured Rossi and Yamaha fail to see eye-to-eye on Lorenzo's presence in the team.
"I have a passionate relationship with Yamaha but that doesn't mean it is impossible that I move away," Lorenzo said. "I would like to stay with Yamaha but we'll see what happens with Valentino."
"The market is quiet so I can wait for something - I am not in a rush," he added.
Last winter Rossi said that Yamaha could not sustain two equal number one riders and that he felt it had to choose between him and Lorenzo. He hinted at a move to Ducati if Yamaha did not agree with his stance, but later played the comments down.
Lorenzo said that his mindset would not change if he were racing against Rossi on different machinery, and doubted it would make much difference because Yamaha, Honda and Ducati are close in performance terms.
"I try to beat [Rossi] on the same bike but if we are on different bikes it only changes a little bit because the top three are similar," Lorenzo said.
The 23-year-old remains calm about the contract talks, saying the onus was on the manufacturers to make decisions for 2011, and that he was instead focused on the job of winning his maiden MotoGP title.
"I am not in a rush to decide where I go next year," Lorenzo reiterated. "The main goal is winning this championship and there is still a long way to go. I think we will expect the manufacturers to decide which riders they want."
Lorenzo leads the championship by 37 points from Andrea Dovizioso after three wins this season and has always finished on the podium so far in 2010.