Kankkunen set for Finland return
|By David Evans||Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 11:23 GMT|
Four-time World Rally champion Juha Kankkunen is expected to contest this year's Rally Finland - 31 years after he first competed on his home round of the World Rally Championship.
The 51-year-old denied his deal to drive a Ford Focus RS WRC was completed, but said he was interested in competing on the July 29-31 event - and possibly more rounds of the series later in the season.
Kankkunen, who has competed on Rally Finland 22 times, said: "Maybe there is a chance to do something, we will see. I am in Spain on holiday right now, but when I get back to Finland there is a press conference - we have to see.
"It could be nice to do the event, though. This is the last time, the last year for the current World Rally Cars, so it would be good to compete in Finland with this car."
Having won the event three times, the chances of Kankkunen collecting a fourth success are slim.
"I have no idea about where I might finish," he added. "It would be tough because the boys are competing all of the time in these cars and they know the speed. I guess the thing I have is that I know the roads at least."
Kankkunen returned to rallying for the recent Rally of Portugal Revival, winning the event comfortably in a Ford Escort MkII. He was partnered by Welshman Nicky Grist on the Faro-based rally and said that agreement could continue to Finland.
"I haven't even considered a co-driver yet, but why not Nicky?" said Kankkunen. "We had a good time in Portugal."