Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Feature
IndyCar
Markham
How Ericsson won another messy IndyCar street race

Red Bull extends Webber's contract

Mark Webber will remain with Red Bull Racing in 2011 after agreeing terms for another one-year extension of his deal

The team confirmed the Australian's new contract on Monday morning, just one week after his controversial collision with team-mate Sebastian Vettel at the Turkish Grand Prix.

AUTOSPORT revealed after the Monaco Grand Prix last month that Webber had been set for a fresh deal on the back of his back-to-back successes in Spain and Monte Carlo.

And although the clash with Vettel in Turkey was far from ideal as Red Bull Racing finalised the terms of the new deal, the team and the driver were able to get matters sorted swiftly.

Speaking about the contract extension, which will see him partnered with Vettel once again, Webber said: "It was an easy decision to remain with Red Bull Racing. We began talking very early this year and were in a position to sign by the Barcelona Grand Prix.

"The decision to extend for a further year was a mutual one; it's widely known that I'm not interested in hanging around in Formula 1 just for the sake of it and at this stage of my career, I'm happy to take one year at a time.

"I continue to feel very comfortable here - I have a fantastic relationship with the whole team and the factory at Milton Keynes feels like home. It's been incredible to be part of the team as it's moved forward from a mid-field competitor to one that is challenging for the Championship.

"I hope we experience more success together in the future and achieve our ultimate goal of winning the world championship."

Team principal Christian Horner added: "The decision to retain Mark was very straightforward. He is an important member of our team and is currently in the best form of his career, as the current leader of the drivers' championship. The team is extremely happy that the driver pairing of Mark and Sebastian will remain unchanged for a third season in 2011."

The confirmation of Webber's deal makes it likely that all the leading F1 drivers will stay put for next year, with Felipe Massa set to remain at Ferrari and Robert Kubica likely to remain at Renault.

Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher are already contracted at Mercedes GP.

Previous article Hamilton told Button would not pass him
Next article Renault confident of passing Mercedes

Top Comments

Latest news