Dixon fastest in Wednesday practice
|By Steven English||Wednesday, May 19th 2010, 22:44 GMT|
Scott Dixon continued to the set the pace throughout this week's Indianapolis 500 practice, shaving seventh hundreds of a second off his best Tuesday time to lead the field again on Wednesday.
The 2008 Indy 500 winner jumped to the top of the timesheet inside the first hour with a 226.971mph lap that would stand unbeaten for the rest of the day.
There were long periods of quiet on the track throughout the six hour session as teams limited their running. Today's session was broken up by fewer cautions, though. The first came just 19 minutes in to clear some debris from the circuit, but after that only Tomas Scheckter stopping with a gearbox problem and a mid-distance track inspection interrupted the running.
There were huge variations in workload between the drivers, with Paul Tracy and Alex Tagliani completing just 11 and 13 laps respectively, while Tony Kanaan topped the distance chart with 134 laps.
EJ Viso was cleared to drive by IndyCar's medical team, but he did not turn a lap in the session.
Penske's Ryan Briscoe finished the day with the second fastest time, lapping half a tenth - or 0.3mph - slower than Dixon.
Tagliani continued his impressive week in the first FAZZT car in third place, with Hideki Mutoh finishing up fourth after setting the pace at the beginning.
Dario Franchitti celebrated his 37th birthday today and ended the session in fifth place, ahead of Will Power.
Kanaan and Helio Castroneves were the only other drivers to post sub-40s laps, with Townsend Bell and Mario Moraes completing the top 10 behind them.
Pos Driver Team Time Speed Laps
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi 39.6526s 226.971mph 68
2. Ryan Briscoe Penske 39.7118s 226.633mph 71
3. Alex Tagliani FAZZT 39.8226s 226.002mph 13
4. Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas 39.8361s 225.926mph 74
5. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 39.8494s 225.850mph 96
6. Will Power Penske 39.8754s 225.703mph 76
7. Tony Kanaan Andretti 39.8830s 225.660mph 134
8. Helio Castroneves Penske 39.9002s 225.563mph 49
9. Townsend Bell Schmidt/Ganassi 40.0458s 224.743mph 61
10. Mario Moraes KV 40.0462s 224.740mph 56
11. Graham Rahal RLR 40.0623s 224.650mph 82
12. Marco Andretti Andretti 40.0686s 224.615mph 119
13. Ed Carpenter Panther 40.0825s 224.537mph 46
14. Davey Hamilton de Ferran Dragon 40.0962s 224.460mph 77
15. Vitor Meira Foyt 40.0988s 224.446mph 70
16. Juston Wilson D & R 40.1245s 224.302mph 35
17. Ana Beatriz D & R 40.1315s 224.263mph 48
18. Takuma Sato KV 40.1329s 224.255mph 70
19. Raphael Matos de Ferran Dragon 40.1708s 224.043mph 79
20. John Andretti Petty/Andretti 40.1841s 223.969mph 82
21. Danica Patrick Andretti 40.1869s 223.954mph 98
22. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 40.2153s 223.795mph 64
23. Mike Conway D & R 40.2290s 223.719mph 49
24. Simona de Silvestro HVM 40.2401s 223.657mph 49
25. Bertrand Baguette Conquest 40.2494s 223.606mph 94
26. Tomas Scheckter D & R 40.2805s 223.433mph 46
27. Sebastian Saavedra Bryan Herta 40.2824s 223.423mph 60
28. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 40.2996s 223.327mph 76
29. Jay Howard Sarah Fisher 40.3045s 223.300mph 46
30. Mario Romancini Conquest 40.3912s 222.821mph 95
31. Dan Wheldon Panther 40.3967s 222.790mph 45
32. AJ Foyt IV Foyt 40.5352s 222.029mph 20
33. Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher 40.5635s 221.874mph 65
34. Paul Tracy KV 40.6287s 221.518mph 11
35. Milka Duno Dale Coyne 40.8074s 220.548mph 58
36. EJ Viso KV no time 0
37. Bruno Junqueira FAZZT no time 0