Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Whitmarsh defends Hamilton

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh believes the media storm surrounding Lewis Hamilton's hoon driving in Australia has been blown out of all proportion

Hamilton was stopped by the police in Melbourne on Friday night for a piece of sideways driving as he exited the Albert Park circuit onto the local roads.

That incident has become front page news worldwide and Whitmarsh admitted that the impact of the affair had played on the former world champion's mind during qualifying on Saturday.

However, he felt that there had been perhaps too much scrutiny placed on the matter.

"We've all done silly things in cars that we hope people haven't been watching from time to time," said Whitmarsh. "That is the nature for most of us.

"The fact is that Jenson and Lewis, as world champions and F1 drivers, are under a lot more scrutiny than the rest of us [in this press conference] room.

"Do I think it has been blown out of proportion? Yes of course it has but that is the pressure that is on people like Jenson and Lewis - that they are going to be scrutinised to a much heavier level than most of us."

He added: "People will judge them as they see fit, but I think most people who read about [the incident] will have the proper perspective, regardless of what the headlines say."

When asked to clarify remarks he made that he felt Hamilton had been left fragile by the affair, Whitmarsh said: "I was asked was Lewis distressed by the events of [Friday] night and the answer is, he was.

"Lewis takes his responsibility of being world champion and being an ambassador of F1 for this sport and this team very, very seriously.

"I've known Lewis for many years, and I know how he would feel about letting people down. If any of us other than Jenson and Lewis here, had performed like that as we left the circuit then people would have laughed and smiled about it.

"There is a very heavy responsibility and burden placed upon their shoulders, and they are judged to a different level than us. Most of us fortunately don't have to endure that, and generally both these guys deal with it very well. Lewis took the matter seriously, and he immediately apologised."

Previous article Horner: Red Bull has banished problems
Next article Pitlane start for Virgin drivers

Top Comments

Latest news