FIA invites teams for 2011 selection
|By Pablo Elizalde||Friday, March 19th 2010, 16:27 GMT|
The FIA has invited possible entrants for the 2011 Formula 1 season, after announcing earlier this month that it will open a new selection process to find more teams to fill the grid.
The governing body said on Friday that it will also identify one or more possible 'reserve' entrants to fill the vacancies that may exist next year.
Formula 1's ruling body said the process will be open to all candidates capable of racing in the 2011 and 2012 championships.
"The overall long-term interests of the championship will determine which candidates are selected," said the FIA.
All the details of the selection process will be revealed to the candidates who have registered a formal expression of interest before Thursday 15th April. an administration fee of €1,000 will need to be paid by each candidate.
The FIA said the timing of the process would depend on the candidates' responses, but made it clear a decision on the entrant would be announced by July.
The governing body said a successful entrant should have "the technical ability and resources of the team; the ability of the team to raise and maintain sufficient funding to allow participation; the team's experience and human resources and the FIA's assessment of the value that the candidate may bring to the Championship as a whole."