FIA still chasing Briatore sanction
|By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde||Friday, March 12th 2010, 15:53 GMT|
FIA president Jean Todt says the governing body is working to make sure that former Renault boss Flavio Briatore gets some sort of sanction for his involvement in the race-fixing scandal.
Briatore was banned from the sport last year, but a French court overruled the FIA decision due to irregularities in the ban imposed.
Although Briatore has made it clear that he has no intention to return to Formula 1, Todt said on Friday that the FIA is looking at all possibilities to make sure the Italian gets a sanction.
"As you know, at the Tribunal de Grande Instance we made an appeal. The FIA has lost in front of it on form not on the grounds. And obviously with the support of the Senate I agreed to make an appeal. And under this present situation you have to respect the form and the ground," said Todt in Bahrain.
"The FIA has to take into consideration of the grounds - we cannot forget that purposefully a car crashed at the Singapore GP in 2008 and it cannot be without consequences.
"So we are at the moment trying to check each alternative to give the best issue as possible to this matter."
FIA Senate president Nick Craw added: "There is an effort underway to make sure that both the issues of fact and process are addressed.
"The World Council gave a unanimous mandate to the president to pursue whatever options he would need to pursue to bring this to a proper conclusion that would be in best interests of the sport and the best interests of the FIA. And he now has the mandate."