Team Vodafone's Jamie Whincup showed the switch from Ford to Holden won't be as big a problem as some may have hoped, taking pole position for race one of the Yas V8 400 at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.
Whincup was fastest in qualifying and went even faster in the shootout to take pole position by nearly quarter of a second in his return to the Holden marque, with Holden Racing Team's Garth Tander alongside him after setting the second fastest time in both sessions.
A pair of Fords fill the second row, Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom just edging out Jim Beam's James Courtney. Tander's team-mate Will Davison was fifth fastest, just edging out Jason Bright who switched teams and marques during the off-season and is now in a Holden for Brad Jones.
Lee Holdsworth and Stone Brothers Racing team-mates Alex Davison and Shane van Gisbergen fill the next three places, with Whincup's team-mate Craig Lowndes completing the top-ten after spinning late in his shootout lap after looking likely to set a time around that of Winterbottom's.
Just outside the top ten are Paul Dumbrell in another FPR car, just ahead of Holdsworth's team-mate Michael Caruso and the Supercheap car of Russell Ingall.
The two Kellys, Rick and Todd, had a disappointing session, qualifying 17th and 21st, though both are ahead of FPR's Steven Richards in 23rd and Paul Morris in 27th who is subbing for Greg Murphy who had a clashing commitment in New Zealand.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore VE 1:58.1140
2. Garth Tander Holden Commodore VE 1:58.3550 + 0.2410
3. Mark Winterbottom Ford Falcon FG 1:58.6620 + 0.5480
4. James Courtney Ford Falcon FG 1:58.6790 + 0.5650
5. Will Davison Holden Commodore VE 1:58.8540 + 0.7400
6. Jason Bright Holden Commodore VE 1:58.9000 + 0.7860
7. Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore VE 1:59.3560 + 1.2420
8. Alex Davison Ford Falcon FG 1:59.4180 + 1.3040
9. Shane Van Gisbergen Ford Falcon FG 1:59.5250 + 1.4110
10. Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore VE 2:09.2870 + 1.1730
11. Paul Dumbrell Ford Falcon FG 1:59.1360 + 1.0220
12. Michael Caruso Holden Commodore VE 1:59.1980 + 1.0840
13. Russell Ingall Holden Commodore VE 1:59.2400 + 1.1260
14. Steven Johnson Ford Falcon FG 1:59.3210 + 1.2070
15. Jason Bargwanna Holden Commodore VE 1:59.3710 + 1.2570
16. Jonathon Webb Ford Falcon FG 1:59.3760 + 1.2620
17. Rick Kelly Holden Commodore VE 1:59.4270 + 1.3130
18. Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VE 1:59.8970 + 1.7830
19. Tim Slade Ford Falcon FG 1:59.9030 + 1.7890
20. Jason Richards Holden Commodore VE 1:59.9120 + 1.7980
21. Todd Kelly Holden Commodore VE 2:00.0730 + 1.9590
22. Andrew Thompson Holden Commodore VE 2:00.0770 + 1.9630
23. Steven Richards Ford Falcon FG 2:00.1770 + 2.0630
24. Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore VE 2:00.1830 + 2.0690
25. Karl Reindler Holden Commodore VE 2:00.3790 + 2.2650
26. Dean Fiore Ford Falcon FG 2:00.3900 + 2.2760
27. Paul Morris Holden Commodore VE 2:00.8450 + 2.7310
28. Daniel Gaunt Holden Commodore VE 2:00.8850 + 2.7710
29. Tony Ricciardello Holden Commodore VE 2:03.0130 + 4.8990