Vettel downplays missing first test
|By Pablo Elizalde||Thursday, January 14th 2010, 14:37 GMT|
Sebastian Vettel has downplayed the fact that his Red Bull Racing team will miss the first test of 2010.
As revealed by AUTOSPORT, the Milton Keynes-based squad will only begin its 2010 testing programme in the second session scheduled for Jerez later in February.
Vettel admitted he was disappointed to hear the news, but says that if the car is going to be better thanks to more wind tunnel work, he's happy to miss the test.
"Sure it's disappointing," Vettel told the official Formula 1 website. "But we will have 12 days of testing for the new car, which is plenty of time.
"It's much better to spend time in the wind tunnel and on the design of the new car, so I am perfectly happy with this."
The German, who finished runner-up to Jenson Button in last year's championship, remains bullish about his chances for the 2010 season.
"I have a very strong team, which supports me 100 percent, and we really have a great atmosphere within the team," Vettel added.
"In Renault we have one of the strongest engine partners on board. They are also one of the best in terms of fuel consumption. I am sure the car will be very competitive. So far there are only positives, so let's see."