Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How will Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring adventure?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How will Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring adventure?

Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Feature
Formula 1
Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Lopez admits interest in Renault

Gerard Lopez has confirmed for the first time that he is interested in purchasing the Renault Formula 1 team

AUTOSPORT revealed last week that Lopez was one of the main parties interested in getting involved in a takeover of the French car manufacturer's F1 outfit - with Prodrive also seeking a deal.

And although Lopez has so far stayed out of the spotlight on the matter, he spoke about it for the first time at the Motor Sport Business Forum in Monaco on Wednesday.

"We see the whole environment as providing an opportunity," he said. "We've been involved in Formula 1 for some time as friends for some people, but never thought about getting more heavily involved than that.

"The situation is such right now that it provides an opportunity for new teams and new investors - it's not a time of uncertainty but a time of change.

"Times of change usually provide an entry point. We believe there is a chance to enter the sport and build a platform that sort of has to reinvent itself. If we were to become part of F1 we could be part of that reinvention."

AUTOSPORT understands that if Lopez's bid is successful the team will continue to run under the 'Renault' moniker rather than have a new identity.

"If we were to do a deal, we would still be basing ourselves as a constructor's team," said Lopez. "That's a different kind of business from a start-up. For us, what would be important is to provide stability over time. The business opportunities in F1 lie very rarely in making money out of your team; they should lie in making money out of the business platform that you have.

"Put any seasoned executive into F1 and they turn into a big kid, essentially. It makes them much more approachable. So for us, F1 is an excellent business-to-business platform."

Previous article Fernandes set to stay as Lotus boss
Next article Q & A with Tony Fernandes

Top Comments

Latest news