Di Resta hoping for Force India future
|By Jamie O'Leary||Thursday, December 3rd 2009, 09:33 GMT|
Paul di Resta hopes that his impressive Formula 1 test outing with Force India at Jerez this week can help him secure a future with the team.
The former McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Award winner was a superb second quickest on the opening day of testing, despite only getting to drive the Mercedes-powered VJM02 during the afternoon.
A morning run on Wednesday, in less favourable track conditions, did little to slow him down as he went fourth quickest.
"The goal was to get this [Force India] test done and then see," said the British driver, who had not driven an F1 car since a one-day test with McLaren at Silverstone last year.
"I don't have any concrete plans for next year but I hope that I can build a solid relationship with Force India for the future off the back of this test."
Although Force India has signed Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi as its race drivers for next year, the position of test and reserve driver is still available. Di Resta and JR Hildebrand - who is also testing at Jerez this week - are the leading contenders.
Di Resta finished as runner-up in the DTM in 2008 and was also a race-winner in the championship this season with Mercedes.
He said that although he was keen to remain in the German-based series, he would also take time to evaluate his options in F1.
"For sure there is a lot of potential in the DTM, but after this test I need to sit down and look at what I want to do and where I want to go," he added.