Lorenzo tops day two at Valencia
|By Jamie O'Leary
||Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 17:17 GMT
Jorge Lorenzo topped the second day of MotoGP winter testing at Valencia as he began to get to grips with Yamaha's 2010 machine.
The Spaniard completed 62 laps of the circuit on a new chassis fitted with a 2009 engine and was the only man to break the 1m32s barrier.
His best mark of 1m31.939s was 0.256s quicker than day one pace-setter Casey Stoner, who continued to hone the set-up on his Ducati.
"I am happy that we are so competitive here with this new version of the bike," said Lorenzo. "I was able to do some very fast laps and it feels good to be the fastest on the last day of the season.
"We have worked on some electronics and the suspension, and we have compared the new chassis to the old one and taken a lot of important information for our engineers."
World champion Valentino Rossi missed the first hour of running, but still managed to set the third quickest time on the second of the Yamahas. Neither of the works machines will take part in the final day of testing.
Ben Spies was a hugely impressive fourth quickest and was the only Tech-3 Yamaha rider on-track as illness sidelined his team-mate Colin Edwards.
Fifth was Ducati's Nicky Hayden while Honda's Dani Pedrosa, who was running Ohlins front suspension forks as opposed to his usual Showas, was next up.
Randy de Puniet and Mika Kallio were next up for the LCR Honda and Pramac Ducati squads while Loris Capirossi rounded out the top nine on his Suzuki, the Italian using a 2010-spec engine, new electronics and a new exhaust.
Hector Barbera was the quickest of the rookies, 2.3s off the pace on his Aspar Ducati, while Moto2 bikes from Gresini and Promoracing were also sampled.
The test concludes on Wednesday.
Pos Rider Bike Time Laps
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1:31.939 62
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1:32.195 + 0.256 44
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1:32.528 + 0.589 55
4. Ben Spies Yamaha 1:32.942 + 1.003 61
5. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1:32.981 + 1.042 84
6. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1:33.025 + 1.086 46
7. Randy De Puniet Honda 1:33.111 + 1.172 76
8. Mika Kallio Ducati 1:33.125 + 1.186 84
9. Loris Capirossi Suauki 1:33.211 + 1.272 64
10. Marco Melandri Honda 1:33.326 + 1.387 85
11. Aleix Espargaro Ducati 1:33.345 + 1.406 74
12. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1:33.546 + 1.607 44
13. Hector Barbera Ducati 1:34.206 + 2.267 100
14. Marco Simoncelli Honda 1:34.230 + 2.291 79
15. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1:34.540 + 2.601 74
16. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1:35.261 + 3.322 88