Campos honoured to give Senna F1 shot
|By Jonathan Noble||Saturday, October 31st 2009, 08:10 GMT|
Campos Meta 1 has said it is an honour to hand Bruno Senna his chance in Formula 1, after finally confirming that it has agreed a deal with the Brazilian.
Senna himself suggested a contract had been signed on his Twitter page on Friday night, but it took Campos until early Saturday morning to confirm the news.
Speaking about the deal, Campos Meta CEO Enrique Rodriguez de Castro said: "For Campos Meta 1, it is an extraordinary honour to be returning the name Senna to Formula 1.
"The deal with Senna confirms and re-enforces our prime objective of being not only the first Spanish Formula 1 team, but rather the first Iberian-American F1 team. The 2014 World Cup, the 2016 Olympics, and three drivers in F1 - it's clear that Brazil is coming up."
Senna himself said about the news: "I'm absolutely delighted to fulfil a lifetime dream. Now it is time to set new targets. The project that Campos Meta 1 developed is designed to succeed both on and off the track."
De Castro also said he was surprised at the speed by which Senna had made it into F1, considering he only made the move to single seaters a few years ago.
"We have followed him closely since his early days in minor series and testified how quickly he developed his speed and skills at GP2 to become one of the most promising up-and-coming drivers of his generation.
"It is astonishing how fast he is entering the F1 scenario after just a few years in motor racing."