autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Whistle-blower key to Renault case

An unidentified whistle-blower within the Renault Formula 1 team was key for providing the evidence that revealed there had been a conspiracy for Nelson Piquet to deliberately crash in last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Renault's initial investigations that took place around the time of this year's Belgian Grand Prix led it to believe that there were only minor pieces of evidence to suggest the matter was even worth investigating.

However, during interviews that took place with team members, an individual revealed the details of the case.

He stated that Piquet had approached Symonds after qualifying to suggest the idea of a deliberate crash, and that the idea had been worked upon once Symonds mentioned it to Briatore.

The World Motor Sport Council's findings stated: "This version of events was put to Pat Symonds and Flavio Briatore. Mr Symonds did not deny the events. Mr Briatore consistently denied any involvement and did not recall the alleged discussion."

Renault admitted to the FIA that in light of the whistle-blower's evidence it made the decision not to dispute the charges and accept that there had been a conspiracy.

The findings of the WMSC hearing state: "The evidence (gathered by Renault F1 and the FIA) supports the assertion that the whistle-blower is one of the many people employed by Renault F1 (over 700 people) who had nothing to do with the conspiracy... the whistle-blower's actions demonstrate that this conspiracy did not go to the heart of the team, but was restricted to the actions of 2 or 3 people."

Renault stated that it would not identify the whistle-blower because it did not want the individual to "become the subject of press attention."

The FIA requested, however, that it be able to interview the whistle-blower to gather evidence ahead of Monday's hearing.

Interestingly, Piquet stated in a letter from his lawyers to the FIA that he did not propose the crash plan, and instead was first aware of it on Sunday morning when he was summoned to a meeting with Symonds and Briatore.

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Team member licences to go ahead
Symonds allowed to work as consultant
Briatore denies personal guilt
The full statement from the FIA
FIA, Briatore reach settlement
FIA still chasing Briatore sanction
Briatore rules out returning to F1
Briatore rules out return as team boss
Massa quizzed Piquet about 'crashgate'
FIA to appeal Briatore case verdict
Briatore's lawyer: FIA appeal pointless
Mosley: Briatore affair far from over
Ecclestone: Briatore 'welcome' in F1
Briatore plans action against Piquets
FIA considers Briatore verdict appeal
Briatore in no rush for F1 return
FIA must announce Briatore ban lift
Court overturns Briatore's F1 ban
Briatore to discover fate today
Briatore hits back at Mosley
Mosley denies Briatore revenge claims
Briatore appeal verdict due in January
Briatore says FIA hearing was 'a sham'
FIA criticises Briatore's data leaking
Date set for Briatore's case against FIA
Ecclestone and Briatore friends again
Briatore takes FIA to court
Piquet Sr. says Briatore ban deserved
Q & A with Fernando Alonso
Alonso cool on Massa's comments
Barrichello plays down Massa comments
Massa: Alonso knew about race-fixing
Piquet: I am the victim of 'crashgate'
Mosley praises Renault's response
Ecclestone hits back at CVC's Sorrell
CVC's Sorrell criticises Ecclestone stance
Q & A with Bob Bell
Bell convinced Renault will pull through
Renault boss calls for change of culture
Q & A with Renault's Caubet
Briatore vows to hit back and 'win'
Renault removes ING, Mutua logos
ING ends Renault deal immediately
Alonso: Life at Renault totally normal
Di Montezemolo: Briatore ban excessive
Webber will not seek new manager
Kubica surprised by Piquet immunity
Ecclestone: Briatore ban too harsh
Bell to be Renault boss for rest of '09
Renault drops case against Piquets
Hamilton: Piquet could return to F1
Symonds will 'always regret' his actions
Renault will stay in F1 despite scandal
Gracia says Briatore ban excessive
Hill: Renault verdict 'a crying shame'
Piquet not expecting forgiveness
Renault accepts FIA's decision
The full verdict from the FIA's WMSC
Renault given two-year suspended ban
Alonso attends Paris hearing
F1 awaits Renault's race-fixing verdict
Gracia: Piquet should not have immunity
Piquet Sr. informed FIA last year
Analysis: How Renault case came to light
Renault chief: Briatore felt responsible
Briatore: I quit to save Renault
Lauda: FIA must punish Renault heavily
Briatore and Symonds leave Renault
Transcript of Pat Symonds' FIA interview
Symonds offered race-fix immunity
Head: Renault case test of F1's integrity
Barrichello slams Briatore's remarks
Renault case leak 'impossible' to trace
Briatore: Piquets' stance not a surprise
Q & A with Flavio Briatore
Briatore: Renault did nothing wrong
Piquet 'will not be bullied' by Renault
FOTA unhappy about data leaking
Q & A with Max Mosley
Mosley: Race-fixing worse than cheating
Renault begins Piquets criminal action
Briatore: Piquet claims 'outrageous lies'
Alonso 'surprised' by Singapore row
Alonso unaware of alleged Renault plan
Race-day meeting key to Renault case
Renault summoned by FIA's WMSC
Renault warned of serious consequences
FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP
Haymarket