Penalty costs Perez second place
|By Mark Glendenning
||Sunday, September 20th 2009, 15:59 GMT
Sergio Perez has lost his second place finish from today's GP2 Series sprint race at the Algarve after incurring a 25s post-race penalty for overtaking the safety car.
The Mexican had been one of the drivers to benefit when six of the frontrunners were issued with drive-through penalties for passing the safety car as it slowed to enter the pits prior to a restart, however an investigation after the race found the Arden rookie to be guilty of the same breach.
Perez has now dropped to 11th in the final standings, promoting Javier Villa up to second behind Luca Filippi for a Super Nova one-two.
The result also changes the final standings in the teams' championship, as it edges Super Nova ahead of Racing Engineering for second on a countback of second places.
Racing Engineering's Dani Clos has been promoted to third, with the final points falling to Alvaro Parente, Diego Nunes and Giedo van der Garde.
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Luca Filippi Super Nova 1h01m55.822s
2. Javier Villa Super Nova + 8.351s
3. Dani Clos Racing Engineering + 9.026s
4. Alvaro Parente Ocean + 9.430s
5. Diego Nunes iSport + 13.646s
6. Giedo van der Garde iSport + 13.932s
7. Alberto Valerio Piquet + 19.357s
8. Edoardo Mortara Arden + 21.674s
9. Davide Rigon Trident + 21.882s
10. Jerome D'Ambrosio DAMS + 24.031s
11. Sergio Perez Arden + 29.141s
12. Andreas Zuber Coloni + 30.244s
13. Karun Chandhok Ocean + 33.425s
14. Davide Valsecchi Addax + 33.869s
15. Lucas di Grassi Racing Engineering + 34.790s
16. Nico Hulkenberg ART + 35.036s
17. Luiz Razia Coloni + 39.546s
18. Johnny Cecotto Jr DPR + 50.684s
19. Kamui Kobayashi DAMS + 51.728s
20. Pastor Maldonado ART + 52.557s
21. Ricardo Teixeira Trident + 1 lap
Roldan Rodríguez Piquet 5 laps
Michael Herck DPR 0 laps
Vitaly Petrov Addax 0 laps