Force India confirms Liuzzi in second car
|By Pablo Elizalde||Monday, September 7th 2009, 09:09 GMT|
The Force India team has confirmed reserve driver Vitantonio Liuzzi will replace Giancarlo Fisichella from the Italian Grand Prix this weekend.
Fisichella left the team last week to drive for Ferrari, and it was expected Liuzzi would take his compatriot's place at the Silverstone-based squad.
"I'm delighted to give Tonio the opportunity to get back into a race seat, which I know he has been itching to do for the past two years," said team boss Vijay Mallya.
"Force India is now in a very competitive position and we need a driver who can continue this momentum. This will be the chance for Tonio to demonstrate to both the team and the field that he has the commitment, speed and professionalism to perform and I am sure he will seize this opportunity."
Twenty-eight year-old Liuzzi last raced in Formula 1 at the end of the 2007 season, and has not tested grand prix machinery since November.
The Italian, however, is optimistic he will be able to do a good job to continue with Force India's impressive form.
"I can't wait to get back into the car in race trim, particularly at my home Grand Prix in Monza," he said. "I really appreciate the opportunity Vijay has given me, particularly now Force India has a great car that's performing very well.
"I am confident I can carry on our progress. I'm very motivated, I'm in good shape and hungry to get some more points on the board.
"Although it's unfortunate that this came about as an direct result of Felipe's accident, this is my opportunity to show people what I can do and I'm really looking forward to it."