Hamilton tops second practice at Spa
|By Simon Strang||Friday, August 28th 2009, 13:33 GMT|
World champion Lewis Hamilton put in a sequence of spectacular laps to go fastest at the end of the second free practice session for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa.
The McLaren driver delivered a lairy 1m47.201s lap to bump Timo Glock's fast Toyota to second place as the pair were separated by just 0.016s.
Despite the flying McLaren, Toyota signalled that it may be a strong contender this weekend as it put a car in the top two in both sessions - Jarno Trulli having gone quickest in FP1.
Kimi Raikkonen, always a favourite at Spa, was third fastest. The Ferrari driver was close to the target as well, just 0.084s off Hamilton's time.
Mark Webber ended the session fourth, the Australian world championship contender having been on top for much of the session. Romain Grosjean was an impressive fifth fastest for Renault as the rookie delivered a late flier. Likewise Giancarlo Fisichella, who was sixth for Force India.
Trulli was seventh ahead of Robert Kubica, another impressive rookie Jaime Alguersuari in ninth and Sebastian Vettel completing the top ten.
Alguersuari spent most of the session in the top ten and and his only low moment was a suspected engine failure late on at the Fagnes chicane. That may have been the cause of late offs for Hamilton and Raikkonen at the same place on the last lap of the session.
Neither Brawn driver cracked the top ten - Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello 17th and 18th.
Luca Badoer's miserable Ferrari spell continued. Despite significant improvement late on in the session to find a second in his own pace, it turned out to be only relative as others increased their speed late on. In the end the Italian was last, 2.010s off the pace, and nearly a second behind his nearest rival Nico Rosberg.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:47.201 29
2. Glock Toyota (B) 1:47.217 + 0.016 29
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:47.285 + 0.084 26
4. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:47.329 + 0.128 31
5. Grosjean Renault (B) 1:47.333 + 0.132 34
6. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:47.506 + 0.305 27
7. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:47.559 + 0.358 33
8. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:47.578 + 0.377 33
9. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:47.579 + 0.378 36
10. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:47.602 + 0.401 25
11. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:47.702 + 0.501 38
12. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:47.743 + 0.542 33
13. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:47.790 + 0.589 29
14. Alonso Renault (B) 1:47.862 + 0.661 30
15. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:47.961 + 0.760 32
16. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:48.017 + 0.816 30
17. Button Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:48.125 + 0.924 34
18. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:48.130 + 0.929 37
19. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:48.360 + 1.159 29
20. Badoer Ferrari (B) 1:49.211 + 2.010 30
All Timing Unofficial