Ford World Rally Team director Malcolm Wilson wants Petter Solberg in one of his cars for the last two rounds of this year's World Rally Championship.
Nine years after Solberg walked out on Wilson and the Ford squad bound for the Subaru World Rally Team, the Cumbrian has admitted he would like to see him back in a Focus RS WRC - despite stating at the time that the Norwegian would not be asked back.
It was Wilson who gave Solberg his first professional drive in 1999. But, one rally after posting his best World Rally Championship finish, when he drove a Focus to fourth on Rally New Zealand, the news came that Solberg had been persuaded to leave by the Banbury-based outfit.
Wilson and Solberg met away from a rally for the first time since August 2000 at M-Sport's base on Friday. Both reported a strong meeting and it now looks as though a deal could be struck to put Solberg back in one of the Cumbrian-built cars.
Wilson said: "We discussed lots of options and we have come up with what we think is the right plan. We would like to see Petter in a Ford and we will help where we can."
Entries for the Catalunya Rally close today and Solberg admitted he had already confirmed his position with the organiser of the Salou-based event. Solberg said: "I have entered Catalunya, that's done. I haven't put the car down - I will know more later this week."
Solberg is known to have the offer of a Citroen C4 WRC or a Focus RS WRC08.