Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Vettel: I can't afford engine failures

Sebastian Vettel has warned that he cannot afford any more engine failures after losing another one of his eight unit allocation for the season in free practice on Saturday

The Red Bull driver had already brought six of his engines into play when he suffered the failure, leaving him with just two fresh ones to deploy during the final six races of the season.

Although teams regularly swap their engines around and are able to bring back powerplants that have been used before, Vettel could face having to take a ten-place grid penalty at the first event where he brings a ninth unit into play. He is understood already to have lost at least one other Renault engine to a failure.

"From now on, there is no room for any more failures or mistakes," said Vettel when asked by AUTOSPORT how concerned he was about his engine allocation.

"I can't change anything now. Of course, if you want to win the championship it is not a good thing towards the end of the season because it will get tight. How tight, we will see."

Despite being pleased with the progress that Red Bull made between Friday practice and qualifying, Vettel fears that the resurgence of McLaren-Mercedes will make it harder to chase down Jenson Button and Brawn in the championship.

He also pointed to the McLaren KERS as a major factor in the team's speed.

"If there is someone who is taking big points, it's not easy to catch up when you are hunters like us," said Vettel. "But let's see what happens tomorrow. Fourth on the grid is not a disaster and no-one has scored any points yet.

"On this circuit last year everyone was close - for instance Force India is not far off. It's not a secret that if you have something on board [like KERS] that is worth three of fourth tenths, the rest cannot find a part that gives that much of a jump."

Previous article Williams seeks early end to Toyota deal
Next article Q & A with Sebastian Vettel

Top Comments

Latest news