Lorenzo set to announce his future
|By Pablo Elizalde||Saturday, August 22nd 2009, 10:45 GMT|
Jorge Lorenzo's manager says the Spanish rider is close to making a decision about his future, with speculation mounting that the Yamaha rider could move to Ducati.
Lorenzo, currently in second place in the standings behind team-mate Valentino Rossi, had been linked with Honda but the Japanese squad announced it would keep its current riders next year.
That left Lorenzo with two options, Yamaha and Ducati, and Spanish and Italian press speculated earlier this week that the Spaniard could be set for a move to the Italian manufacturer.
Ducati has been left in an uncertain position following Casey Stoner's withdrawal from three races through illness, and no clear indication of how long it will take the Australian to recover.
Lorenzo's manager hinted a decision could be announced before the next race at Indianapolis.
"Until the middle of this week we were still ticking off the boxes and finalising the offers," Marcos Hirsch told the official MotoGP website.
"We are getting close to concluding our evaluation of the pros and cons of the offers and we acknowledge that now is the right moment to make a decision."
Lorenzo had said last month that Yamaha's offer was simply not good enough, but showed signs of relenting for the sake of his future in recent races at Donington and Brno.