Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Formula 1
Dutch GP
US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

Formula 1
Dutch GP
TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Formula 1
Dutch GP
How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

MotoGP
Aragon GP
Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

Formula E
London ePrix II
FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Massa remains stable following surgery

Felipe Massa remains in a stable condition in the AEK hospital in Budapest this morning, as doctors and Ferrari were left encouraged that there had been no further complications overnight

Massa underwent successful surgery yesterday afternoon as a result of the skull fracture and brain concussion he suffered in a crash at Turn 4 during qualifying at the Hungaroring after he was hit on the head by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's car.

As is standard procedure for such operations, Massa was put into an induced coma and remained under observation in intensive care at the hospital.

A statement issued by Ferrari on Sunday morning said: "After undergoing an operation yesterday afternoon, Felipe Massa's condition remains stable and there were no further complications through the night.

"He will be given another CT scan today, which will provide more precise information."

Sources have told AUTOSPORT that the doctors at the hospital are 'optimistic' about Massa's recovery, but cannot say anything for definite until the brain scans have been performed.

Until those tests have been completed, it is also too early to judge how long Massa's recovery will take - or if he will be back in Formula 1 action this season.

Barrichello visited the AEK hospital in Budapest last night to find out news on his fellow Brazilian's condition, while Massa's father and other family members are flying out to Budapest to be with him, having not travelled to the race.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone also visited to the hospital for an update on how Massa was, and afterwards expressed his shock at the events.

"We thought we'd got through these problems," said Ecclestone. "I've spoken to Sid Watkins [F1 safety expert] and he's looking into it."

Previous article Post-qualifying press conference
Next article Brawn: Safety action must be balanced

Top Comments

Latest news