autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

FIA: FOTA was aware of observer status

Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, has responded to the FOTA teams, claiming they were aware of the rule-making process when they joined yesterday's meeting.

The eight FOTA teams decided to walk out of the meeting on Wednesday after they were told they could have no input on regulatory discussions.

FOTA was informed they only had an 'observer' status in the process, leading to the teams leaving the meeting and accusing the FIA of putting the sport in jeopardy.

The governing body, however, has responded to FOTA, saying the teams should have known that the unanimous approval of all 13 F1 teams was mandatory.

"Before FOTA's decision to walk out of yesterday's Technical Working Group meeting, the President of the FIA wrote twice to the President of FOTA to remind him that any amendments to the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship regulations were subject to the unanimous approval of the five teams that had already entered for next season under the rules as published," said the FIA in a statement.

"This is because of the International Sporting Code and also because the entered teams have a contract with the FIA which not even the General Assembly or the World Council can abrogate. Anyone with an elementary knowledge of motor sport governance knows this.

"Imagine the uproar if, after the FOTA teams had entered, the World Council were subsequently to change the rules without asking them.

"It follows that the agreement of the five teams currently entered in the 2010 World Championship to all 2010 rule changes is required.

"To suggest that FOTA were only made aware of this during the meetings of yesterday is quite simply untrue. So is the implicit claim that they were all unaware of one of motor sport's basic principles."

The FOTA teams requested the postponement of the meeting, but the teams' body said it was refused "on the grounds that no new Concorde Agreement would be permitted before a unanimous approval of the 2010 regulations was achieved."

The FIA said on Thursday that it was "probable" that the new deal could be signed in the coming days, suggesting the delay has been caused by FOTA sending a completely new, 350-page, document.

It added that while this wasn't what the governing body had expected, it was optimistic a suitable agreement could ready to be signed soon.

"The deal that the FIA reached with FOTA in Paris was to extend the 1998 Concorde Agreement with some minor amendments to the governance section," the statement added. "This would have put in place an F1 Commission to deal with future rules with any major question going to the FIA Senate.

"However, on 25 June, instead of the 1998 Agreement with some minor amendments, the FIA received 350 pages of a completely new Concorde Agreement.

"It being wholly impractical to involve the Senate in such detailed negotiations, the contract was handed over to FIA lawyers, who worked on it tirelessly over the weekend 27-28 June and gave comments during a three-hour conference call on Monday 29 June. Then the 350 pages of 25 June turned out not to be the final FOTA/FOA version and elements of a new version appeared, partly on 2 July, partly on 3 July.

"Again, FIA lawyers worked over the weekend on 4-5 July, as did FIA President Max Mosley and FIA Deputy President (sport) Nick Craw. Further comments were then given on a three and a half hour lawyers' call on Monday 6 July and again in a conference call yesterday, 8 July, following the circulation of further drafts. Further significant progress was made yesterday evening in yet another conference call.

"At present it seems probable that a final draft of the 2009 Concorde Agreement will be agreed and ready for signature in the coming days."

  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Williams and Force India rejoin FOTA
Melbourne won't host 'half an F1 race'
FOTA pushing ahead with breakaway
Melbourne could pull out over F1 rows
FOTA says FIA putting F1 in jeopardy
FOTA teams walk out of FIA meeting
FIA: FOTA can't finalise rules by itself
Williams hopes to return to FOTA
Howett pleased with FIA resolution
Di Montezemolo hails Mosley contribution
FOTA teams call off breakaway series
FIA confirms 2010 F1 entry list
Mosley: Peace agreed in Formula 1
Analysis: All eyes on Paris
Mosley ready to run for re-election
Briatore: Time for deal has passed
Ecclestone won't let F1 'disintegrate'
FOTA denies compromise deal is close
Mosley open to talks with FOTA
Q & A with Ross Brawn
FOTA beginning work on new series
Mosley not expecting quick resolution
FOTA series could attract new teams
Mosley unlikely to step down amid crisis
Button: Staying with top teams is priority
Mosley believes split unlikely to happen
Ferrari stays silent on FIA's legal threat
Theissen: FOTA left with no choice
FIA to launch legal action against FOTA
Force India waiting on F1 future
Ecclestone urged to broker peace deal
Fry: FIA talks conducted in good faith
Horner: F1 future now in FIA's hands
FIA blames factions in FOTA for split
FOTA teams to launch breakaway series
FOTA to meet to discuss FIA response
Mosley outlines deal offer to teams
Mosley offers deal but deadline stands
FOTA urges for compromise in row
The full statement from the FIA
FIA: FOTA trying to control F1 rules
FIA says 40m budget cap going ahead
FOTA: No comment on FIA statement
FIA 'surprised' by ACEA's calls
Brawn: Formula 1 must learn from row
FIA: FOTA members preventing deal
ACEA wants change to F1 governance
FOTA vows to change 'bad' FIA rules
FOTA seeking 'sensible governance'
FOTA asks WMSC to intervene in F1 row
Formula 1 awaits 2010 entry list
Mosley to meet with teams today
Hill warns F1 not to repeat IRL mistake
Ecclestone would fight breakaway series
FIA hints at progress as FOTA responds
Schumacher: F1 needs manufacturers
FOTA plans response to Mosley
Manufacturers could face legal challenge
Mosley: FOTA should enter to shape F1
Massa: Formula 1 row a nightmare
Mallya wants FOTA suspension reversed
Drivers support FOTA in F1 future row
Drivers and FOTA discuss F1 crisis
Brawn pledges commitment to FOTA
Briatore baffled by FIA/FOTA row
Force India lodges unconditional entry
Force India facing FOTA suspension
Q & A with Mario Theissen
Start your own series, Mosley tells FOTA
Q & A with John Howett
Howett: Unity will make F1 stronger
Q & A with Stefano Domenicali
Domenicali: Entries not a climbdown
Exclusive Q & A with John Howett
FOTA teams submit F1 entries for 2010
FOTA agrees on plan to help new teams
Parr: Williams not trying to split FOTA
Williams team suspended by FOTA
McLaren feels 'peacemaker' in FIA row
Williams submits F1 entry for 2010
Teams demand FIA ditch 2010 rules
Mosley: Cost cap solution in sight
Teams continue work on F1 agreement
Fry: Talks have made good progress
Teams fail to reach agreement with FIA
Santander confident of F1 agreement
Di Montezemolo: F1 teams are united
Ecclestone warns Ferrari of legal action
Theissen urges teams to remain positive
Ecclestone worried Ferrari may leave F1
Q & A with Kimi Raikkonen
Raikkonen pledges future to Ferrari
FIA welcomes verdict, criticises Ferrari
Ferrari board to discuss F1 future
Haymarket