Teams want independent FIA president
|By Edd Straw||Thursday, June 25th 2009, 14:41 GMT|
Formula One Teams' Association vice chairman John Howett has called for Max Mosley's successor as president of the FIA to be fully independent of the competitors.
The Toyota team president believes that whoever is elected to take over the role from Mosley in October must have no current or historic links to the F1 teams.
This is a clear hint that FOTA would not be keen on former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, who has been linked with the position, taking over.
"From the teams' point of view, we would like to see someone who actually is independent," said Howett. "Perhaps independent from any of us currently or historically.
"The federation covers much more than just motorsport. It is involved in worldwide touring and from the position of the manufacturers, they would wish to have somebody that was able to represent appropriately the requirements of worldwide motorists as well as purely focusing on the sport."
Howett emphasised that the problems between the FIA and FOTA had been resolved, and that there was no longer any ambiguity as to the relationship between the two.
He added that, as an independent body, it was in the hands of the FIA to elect Mosley's successor.
"I believe yesterday the confirmation was given to the World Motorsport Council on what was agreed, and they endorsed entirely that," said Howett. "So from our side there should be no ambiguity at all.
"The federation is an independent body with its own constitution, and it will be their business who they elect as the future successor to their president."
Renault team boss Flavio Briatore wished Mosley well for the future.
"After many years with the presidency of Max Mosley, we want to say good luck for the retirement," said Briatore.
"Sometimes we are in different positions, and sometimes we have different opinions. But the common sense yesterday was winning."
FOTA chairman Luca di Montezemolo also thanked Mosley for his attitude, paying tribute to his contribution to improving safety standards in F1.
"After a month of confrontations we also thank the president of the FIA for his decision to leave in October and for the work that he has done," said di Montezemolo.
"Particularly for safety, because this was and still is a big priority in F1. F1 has done a huge, huge improvement in safety."