Mayfield sued by NASCAR
|By Diego Mejia||Saturday, June 6th 2009, 07:33 GMT|
NASCAR has counter-sued Jeremy Mayfield on three different claims after the driver took his case to court a couple of weeks ago to try to get his suspension lifted.
Mayfield was suspended indefinitely from NASCAR after results of a random test for drugs taken at Richmond were positive both for his A and B samples.
The driver has since claimed that a combination of prescribed and over-the-counter medications led to the wrong outcome of the test but officials have not agreed with his claim, although they have yet to reveal the specific drug found in Mayfield's samples.
The 39-year-old started legal action last week in an attempt to get a temporary restraining order so that his suspension will be lifted, allowing him to race again. However a judge denied Mayfield's request and he was unable to compete at Dover. NASCAR then moved the case to a Federal Court and now they have counter-sued Mayfield.
"NASCAR today responded to the Jeremy Mayfield lawsuit by denying each of his claims and counter-sued Mayfield for willfully violating NASCAR's substance abuse policy, breach of contract, and defrauding NASCAR and its competitors of earnings," said NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston.
Poston indicated that Mayfield, while competing under the influence of drugs, put himself and others at risk, and also revealed that the driver finally admitted to have done so without properly informing NASCAR about the drug he was using and for what reasons.
Court files reveal that Mayfield's positive test was the result of taking Adderall prescribed for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Claritin-D for allergies, while amphetamines were also mentioned.
"Mayfield knowingly participated in NASCAR sanctioned competition using a combination of drugs in violation of the substance abuse policy and in doing so, violated his contracts with NASCAR and the standards of care that he owed fellow drivers and spectators," Poston added.
"Mayfield's willful misconduct at the racetrack in which he competed while an illegal substance was still in his system is evidence that he presented a danger to himself and others.
"In addition to the use of illegal drugs, Mayfield has now admitted that he used another drug without informing NASCAR. When he consumed that drug in conjunction with other medication, he exceeded safe levels and violated NASCAR's substance abuse policy."
Poston said that Mayfield had competed in two races under the influence of the drug before testing positive, citing also that he had been involved in crashes in three of the five events he qualified for this season.
A hearing on the case is scheduled for next Wednesday at a court in North Carolina.