Casey Stoner was quickest in a damp warm-up session for the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello.
The Ducati rider's final 2m01.739s was one of several laps good enough to top the session, which saw him take first place by a margin of 0.495 seconds over Marco Melandri, who again shone in slippery conditions on the Hayate Kawasaki.
Chris Vermeulen (Suzuki) and Nicky Hayden (Ducati) both showed much better form in the wet than they had in the dry as they took third and sixth.
They were split by Yamaha's Valentino Rossi, who is aiming for an eighth consecutive Mugello win this afternoon, and Vermeulen's team-mate Loris Capirossi, who was among the fastest when the track was slightly wetter at the start of the session.
Pole-sitter Jorge Lorenzo was only 13th for Yamaha.
Despite the conditions, all the riders managed to stay on the road, although Stoner, Melandri and Pramac Ducati's Niccolo Canepa all had to catch vicious slides.
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Casey Stoner Ducati 2m01.739s
2. Marco Melandri Hayate Kawasaki 2m02.234s + 0.495s
3. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 2m02.395s + 0.656s
4. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 2m02.529s + 0.790s
5. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 2m02.666s + 0.927s
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.849s + 1.110s
7. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 2m03.301s + 1.562s
8. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.406s + 1.667s
9. Alex de Angelis Gresini Honda 2m03.880s + 2.141s
10. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m04.070s + 2.331s
11. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m04.196s + 2.457s
12. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 2m04.430s + 2.691s
13. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m04.683s + 2.944s
14. Toni Elias Gresini Honda 2m04.859s + 3.120s
15. James Toseland Tech 3 Yamaha 2m05.100s + 3.361s
16. Yuki Takahashi Scot Honda 2m05.506s + 3.767s
17. Niccolo Canepa Pramac Ducati 2m06.524s + 4.785s