Jorge Lorenzo has led the way in the dry warm-up ahead of today's motorcycling French Grand Prix at Le Mans.
The Fiat Yamaha rider's only real challenge for top spot came from the Ducati Marlboro of Casey Stoner, who ended the session in second place.
Lorenzo, who will start the race from second spot, set a best lap of 1m35.247s, nearly two tenths better than Stoner's.
Championship leader Valentino Rossi edged closer to the front than he has been all weekend to set the third-fastest time, 0.275s behind his Yamaha teammate.
Pole position-man Dani Pedrosa, who went wide and had to ride his Repsol Honda through the gravel with two minutes remaining in the 20-minute session, could do no better than fourth, almost half a second slower than Lorenzo.
Colin Edwards was best of the rest with his Tech 3 Yamaha, followed by the works Honda of Andrea Dovizioso and the Gresini-entered Honda of Alex de Angelis.
Marco Melandri (Hayate Kawasaki) was eighth quickest, ahead of James Toseland (Tech 3 Yamaha) and Nicky Hayden (Ducati Marlboro) completing the top ten.
The Rizla Suzuki pair had a disappointing session, with Australian Chris Vermeulen in eleventh spot and Italian veteran Loris Capirossi 13th.
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m35.247s
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m35.439s + 0.192s
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m35.522s + 0.275s
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m35.725s + 0.478s
5. Colin Edwards Yamaha 1m35.774s + 0.527s
6. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m35.971s + 0.724s
7. Alex de Angelis Honda 1m36.014s + 0.767s
8. Marco Melandri Kawasaki 1m36.031s + 0.784s
9. James Toseland Yamaha 1m36.294s + 1.047s
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m36.390s + 1.143s
11. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m36.482s + 1.235s
12. Randy De Puniet Honda 1m36.588s + 1.341s
13. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m36.768s + 1.521s
14. Yuki Takahashi Honda 1m36.824s + 1.577s
15. Mika Kallio Ducati 1m37.572s + 2.325s
16. Toni Elias Honda 1m37.618s + 2.371s
17. Niccolo Canepa Ducati 1m37.683s + 2.436s