Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

FOTA calls for talks over budget cap

The Formula One Teams' Association has called for urgent talks with the FIA to discuss rule changes planned for introduction next year

Leading figures from FOTA held a meeting at Heathrow on Wednesday to talk about the future direction of Formula 1, as well as progress with the signing of a new Concorde Agreement.

In a short statement issued after the meeting, FOTA said progress had been made in keeping the group together, following the disagreements that had marred the start to the season.

However, the body did express some concern about the FIA's plans for a voluntary budget cap that could lead to a two-tier F1 from next year.

"FOTA held a positive and constructive meeting and agreed to continue working together in a methodical manner for the definition of further cost-reduction in 2010 and 2011, progressing along the path begun in 2008," said the statement.

"FOTA has concerns with the decisions taken at the last WMSC meeting regarding the 2010 regulations and therefore asks to begin urgent consultations with the FIA."

The FIA announced last week that an optional £40 million budget cap would be introduced next season, with teams that choose to continue spending freely set to run to more restrictive technical rules.

The governing body has insisted that many teams - including potential new F1 entrants - are in favour of this move.

"The FIA believes that cost capping will prove attractive, and it hopes that over time all teams will join," said an FIA statement released after last week's World Motor Sport Council announcement.

"So far, interest has been extraordinarily high from both existing teams and potential new entrants."

Previous article The Weekly Grapevine
Next article Ferrari keeps KERS for Spanish GP

Top Comments