Mosley: FOTA response was 'weak'
|By Matt Beer||Saturday, March 21st 2009, 12:16 GMT|
FIA president Max Mosley says he regarded the Formula One Teams' Association's response to the introduction of budget caps as 'weak', and feels the teams' body should have gone further with its own proposals.
FOTA recently unveiled plans for cost cuts that it believed would reduce Formula 1 budgets by 50 per cent, but the FIA World Motor Sport Council still chose to introduce an optional £30 million budget cap for 2010.
A FOTA statement expressed the teams' 'concern' at this development, but Mosley says the independent outfits are in favour of the concept.
"It was a weak response," Mosley told the Daily Telegraph. "They knew we were considering a budget cap, but I don't think they expected us just to do it like that.
"The complaint was that we didn't consult them. Well, we've been talking a lot to Force India and Williams, both of whom were very supportive. I've not spoken recently to [Red Bull owner Dietrich] Mateschitz but I would have thought it might appeal to him too.
"In any case, we had to do something. All we've had from the teams so far is 'We've done a fantastic job, we've reduced costs by 50 per cent'. So what?
"It has come down from $300-$400 million to $150-$200 million? Well, that's admirable, but I'm dubious as to whether they will still have $150-$200 million in 2010 and 2011.
"It is provisional. I actually think it could be done for £25 million but that's just my opinion. All my advisers think it should be more."
Mosley remains convinced that the teams will ultimately welcome the idea of a budget cap.
"When people calm down a little bit they will see that all of this is brilliant for Formula 1," he said. "It won't hurt the DNA of the sport - £30 million is still vastly more than any other series."