Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Melandri yet to decide on Kawasaki deal

Marco Melandri says his MotoGP future is still up in the air, despite the announcement from Kawasaki that they will run a one-bike team in 2009

The Japanese squad, who had announced their withdrawal from the sport at the start of the year, said on Thursday that Melandri would be riding their bike after partially reversing their decision.

The Italian rider signed with Kawasaki last year after leaving the Ducati team, and he was expected to be partnering John Hopkins before the manufacturer confirmed its exit.

Despite Thursday's announcement, Melandri said he was yet to hear from the team and he admitted he wants to test this year's bike before he commits to racing with it.

"I got calls from many people, but I haven't received any official confirmation," Melandri was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport. "It's incredible that I should come to know these things from journalists.

"My situation is up in the air: I need to close the old contract and do a new one for this different solution. I know there's not much money, and that's no big issue for me.

"But the discussion was very clear: since they didn't give me guarantees on the 2009 bike, I want to try it myself, from Sunday onwards in Qatar, and then decide.

"That's because I don't feel like starting the season with a bike that is three seconds slower than the others, and that doesn't even get developed during the season.

"I don't know whether the bikes are in Qatar, but I guess they are. But the team is formed: the mechanics are the same I had in the first tests, and they will be headed by telemetry man Andrea Dosoli."

Previous article Kawasaki commit to 2009 with Melandri
Next article Hayden leads rain-affected Qatar test

Top Comments

Latest news