Button stays positive after Honda exit
|By Matt Beer||Friday, December 5th 2008, 16:51 GMT|
Jenson Button says he is determined to stay positive about his Formula One future after his Honda team's shock decision to pull out of the sport.
The Briton admitted that news of Honda's exit had come as a huge and unwelcome surprise to him.
"I found out at the same time as everyone in the team did, so it's just as much of a shock to me as it is to everyone else," he told the BBC.
"The first couple of hours were the most painful. But after that, I thought 'what's the point of being down?' I tried to look at every reason for it, and it's not going to change. So we've just got to try and stay positive."
Button, who has been with the team since the BAR days in 2003 and was already under contract for next season, is optimistic that the squad will emerge stronger from the current crisis - provided a buyer can be found.
"We need to stay positive in ourselves, and as one team, because if we're not, who's going to be interested in taking us over?" he said.
"It's either going to make us stronger or it's going to break us. One or the other.
"If it doesn't kill us, it will make us stronger."
Button was the only driver contracted to Honda for 2009 prior to the pull-out decision, as his current teammate Rubens Barrichello's future with the team had already been uncertain even before today's pull-out announcement, with Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi having been evaluated as potential replacements.