Tomczyk tops final practice session
|By Glenn Freeman
||Saturday, October 25th 2008, 08:54 GMT
Martin Tomczyk topped the final free practice session of the DTM season ahead of Saturday's qualifying session, while title contenders Timo Scheider and Paul di Resta were separated by just 0.007 seconds.
The session was slow to get going as cool temperatures prevented the track from properly drying out and the four HWA Mercedes drivers waited until the final 20 minutes of the one hour session to take to the track.
Scheider was quickest at one point, but the times began to tumble in the final few minutes and he was watching on from the garage as di Resta put in a quick lap. The Scot was faster in the first sector but eventually came up short by seven thousandths of a second.
The Mercedes driver had one more hot lap as the session was drawing to a close, but he locked up under braking for the hairpin and went straight on.
The title contenders didn't stay at the top though, as Scheider's Abt Audi teammates Tomczyk and Mattias Ekstrom pushed them back to third and fourth.
Tom Kristensen made sure that Audi repeated their Friday feat of getting all four 2008 cars into the top five, while Mike Rockenfeller was the top driver in a one-year-old car in sixth place.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Martin Tomczyk Audi 1:33.140
2. Mattias Ekstrom Audi 1:33.232 +0.092
3. Timo Scheider Audi 1:33.383 +0.243
4. Paul di Resta Mercedes 1:33.390 +0.250
5. Tom Kristensen Audi 1:33.568 +0.428
6. Mike Rockenfeller Audi 1:33.627 +0.487
7. Jamie Green Mercedes 1:33.676 +0.536
8. Bruno Spengler Mercedes 1:33.900 +0.760
9. Maro Engel Mercedes 1:33.966 +0.826
10. Markus Winkelhock Audi 1:34.056 +0.916
11. Bernd Schneider Mercedes 1:34.096 +0.956
12. Alexandre Premat Audi 1:34.171 +1.031
13. Oliver Jarvis Audi 1:34.480 +1.340
14. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes 1:34.562 +1.422
15. Christijan Albers Audi 1:34.732 +1.592
16. Gary Paffett Mercedes 1:34.762 +1.622
17. Susie Stoddart Mercedes 1:34.795 +1.655
18. Katherine Legge Audi 1:35.169 +2.029
19. Mathias Lauda Mercedes 1:35.520 +2.380