Ecclestone says India will make 2011 debut
|By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde||Friday, October 10th 2008, 10:53 GMT|
The first Indian Formula One Grand Prix will take place in 2011, one year later than it was originally announced by the local organisers, according to Bernie Ecclestone.
The Indian Olympic Association had announced last year that the first race in the Asian country would take place in 2010.
The Formula One supremo also said Russia was an option for the future.
"Besides Abu Dhabi, we have at least two or three options open in Russia," Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport in an interview. "The first is obviously Moscow. But it isn't time to think about a date yet.
"And then there's India, and I can say that the Grand Prix there will be included in the 2011 calendar."
Ecclestone said that Singapore would again be the only night race on the calendar in 2009.
"The Singapore GP originated from the need of making F1 visible to Europe at an acceptable time that isn't dawn. So this is a matter restricted to the Asian and Oceania races," he added.
"Every GP from that side of the world could in theory be moved to a night slot. But in 2009 it will just be Singapore. As for Europe I see no reason to stage a race after sunset."
Next year's calendar did not include any races in North America, with the Canadian Grand Prix having been dropped.
Ecclestone said the problem in America was that the races were promoted by private companies.
"America works differently. Certain worldwide events, like F1 itself in certain nations or the Olympic Games, are financed by the countries.
"In the American continent, by contrast, they're organised by private companies, who want to make a profit even before the race is staged: that's a bit too much."