Find out more about our subscriptions

Fassler/Deletraz win at Bucharest

Marcel Fassler and Jean-Denis Deletraz took their second victory of the weekend in Sunday's FIA GT race around Bucharest.

Just as in yesterday's race, Fassler led from teammate Mike Hezemans throughout the first stint as the Phoenix Corvettes pulled away from the Vitaphone Masteratis.

Xandi Negrao passed Andrea Bertolini to switch the order of the Maseratis and set off after the Chevrolets. He caught Hezemans and stayed on the back of the No.6 car, while Fassler eased into a six-second lead up front.

Anthony Kumpen then chased down Bertolini and took fourth place for the Peka Racing Saleen.

But the pit stops mixed things up, as Fassler's lead evapourated as Deletraz took over, and the Saleen fell back behind the No.1 Maserati as Bert Longin replaced Kumpen.

Fabrizio Gollin caught Deletraz, again as in Saturday's race, and with more laps to run it looked as though he would find a way past today.

He closed right under the rear bumper of his teammate, but he slid wide in the quick right-hand kink on the back straight and clipped the wall. That broke the suspension and although he tried to make it back to the pits he had to park it on the run down to the last corner.

Deletraz was left with an easy run to victory, well clear of Miguel Ramos, who took over from Negrao and brought the No.2 Vitaphone car home in second.

Michael Bartels was third in the sister Maserati, ahead of Longin in the Saleen and the Gigawave Aston Martin of Philipp Peter/Allan Simonsen.

Andrew Kirkaldy's late race overtaking move earned CR Scuderia their second GT2 class victory in as many days as the Scot demoted Gianmaria Bruni inside the final five minutes.

The car had started from pole, but dropped straight to third when Rob Bell made a poor start and it was the AF Corse Ferrari of Toni Vilander and Bruni that led for most of the hour.

Vilander even kept up with the back of the GT1 class for the majority of his stint.

Richard Westbrook held second in the Prospeed Porsche but the Ferrari was back ahead at the pit stops.

Kirkaldy erased Bruni's 10-second advantage in the last 15 minutes and made the decisive move for the lead.

"Yesterday and today were fantastic races for GT2," Kirkaldy said afterwards. "The weather and temperatures made it very tough but I thoroughly enjoyed it."

The Scuderia Ecosse Ferrari finished fourth just ahead of the BMS Scuderia Italia car. The second AF Corse Ferrari was also involved in that fight until an incident involving a backmarker.

Christian Montanari passed Paolo Ruberti and tried to lap the No.69 Felbermayr Porsche at the same time, but the Porsche didn't see him and turned in. Both spun and rejoined.

Results to follow

  More news  
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
Corvettes win qualifying race
Fassler sees off Wendlinger for pole