Dindo Capello beat his Audi teammate Marco Werner to pole position for the Mosport Park round of the American Le Mans Series after a fierce contest between the two R10 TDis.
The pair swapped provisional pole repeatedly in the first half of the session at the Canadian track, before Penske Porsche's Romain Dumas briefly snatched the top spot away from them with a 1:04.318 lap.
The Audis had more speed in hand, though, with Werner producing a 1:04.188 a few minutes later to reclaim first position.
But it would be Capello who ultimately took the pole, as he beat Werner by 0.094 seconds on his next lap - comfortably setting a new track record despite a wild slide out of the final corner.
With the Audis having clinched the outright front row, Dumas held on to third and the LMP2 class pole, ahead of the Acura quartet. Highcroft's David Brabham was the best of them in fourth, with Andretti Green's Franck Montagny, Fernandez driver Luis Diaz and de Ferran's Simon Pagenaud filling the next three places.
While one Penske Porsche took class pole and an overall row two spot, the second car could only manage eighth - just ahead of the Dyson duo - in Sascha Maassen's hands.
In a typically close Corvette battle for the GT1 pole, Johnny O'Connell beat teammate Olivier Beretta to class honours by 0.069 seconds, although that was a creditable effort for the latter after his co-driver Oliver Gavin had crashed in practice.
GT2 pole fell to Jaime Melo's Risi Ferrari, with Farnbacher Loles Porsche driver Dirk Werner 0.190 seconds adrift in second place.
Pos Cl Qualifying driver Car Time
1. P1 Dindo Capello Audi R10 TDI 1:04.094
2. P1 Marco Werner Audi R10 TDI 1:04.188 + 0.094
3. P2 Romain Dumas Porsche RS Spyder 1:04.318 + 0.224
4. P2 David Brabham Acura ARX-01b 1:04.603 + 0.509
5. P2 Franck Montagny Acura ARX-01b 1:04.619 + 0.525
6. P2 Luis Diaz Acura ARX-01b 1:05.153 + 1.059
7. P2 Simon Pagenaud Acura ARX-01B 1:05.156 + 1.062
8. P2 Sascha Maassen Porsche RS Spyder 1:05.166 + 1.072
9. P2 Marino Franchitti Porsche RS Spyder 1:05.170 + 1.076
10. P2 Chris Dyson Porsche RS Spyder 1:05.429 + 1.335
11. P1 Jon Field Lola B06/10 AER 1:06.133 + 2.039
12. P1 Ryan Lewis Lola B06/10 AER 1:07.228 + 3.134
13. P2 Ben Devlin Mazda Lola B07-46 1:07.742 + 3.648
14. GT1 Johnny O`Connell Corvette C6.R 1:13.878 + 9.784
15. GT1 Olivier Beretta Corvette C6.R 1:13.947 + 9.853
16. GT1 Terry Borcheller Aston Martin DBR9 1:15.611 + 11.517
17. GT2 Jaime Melo Ferrari 430 GT 1:16.863 + 12.769
18. GT2 Dirk Werner Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1:17.053 + 12.959
19. GT2 Dominik Farnbacher Ferrari 430 GT 1:17.232 + 13.138
20. GT2 Wolf Henzler Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1:17.566 + 13.472
21. GT2 Patrick Pilet Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1:17.932 + 13.838
22. GT2 Tom Milner Panoz Esperante 1:18.406 + 14.312
23. GT2 Marc Basseng Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1:19.692 + 15.598
24. GT2 Jim Tafel Ferrari 430 GT 1:19.942 + 15.848
25. GT2 Chris Hall Dodge Viper Coupe 1:20.336 + 16.242
26. GT2 Seth Neiman Porsche 911 GT3 RSR 1:20.517 + 16.423