autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
NASCAR NEWS 

Stewart to run No.14 in 2009

Tony Stewart has unveiled the numbers and sponsorship package for his Stewart Haas Racing team.

In an event at Indianapolis earlier today, the former series champion revealed that the No.4 and No.14 Chevrolets will be sponsored by Office Depot and Old Spice in 2009.

Team co-owner and driver Stewart has chosen the No.14, which was raced by his all-time racing hero AJ Foyt. The team's second entry will run the No.4 but no announcement has been made about who the driver will be for that car.

"We knew we were going to have the No.4 and the No.14," Stewart said. "No.4 was my first ever go-kart number that I started with. Unless you don't follow auto racing at least once a year, I think everybody knows AJ Foyt has always been my all-time hero.

"It was about a five-minute tug-of-war between whether I wanted my first number back or AJ's number. It was pretty easy to decide that I wanted my all-time hero's."

Four-time Indy 500 winner Foyt, who also won the Daytona 500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, said there could not be any better driver than Stewart to compete with the number he used for most of his open-wheel career.

"Tony and I have been friends for a long time," said Foyt. "I think I first met him when he was running Midgets. It was quite a while ago so I don't actually remember where and when.

"A few times he drove the Silver Crown car I had with George Snider back in the mid-90s and I gave him his first test in an Indy car in Phoenix [in 1995] and he ran pretty quick as I recall.

"In addition to being quick, he's always told it how it is. I don't think there's anyone better to carry the No.14."

Former Roush Fenway sponsor Office Depot will back next year in the Sprint Cup sponsoring Stewart's No.14 car, while Old Spice, which has been a long-time sponsor of the two-time Cup champion, will also be a sponsor on his car.

"To be able to go from Chicago to a couple of weeks later and do what we're doing today, announcing Office Depot, Old Spice and Chevrolet are going to be with us next year, it is something we're all excited about," Stewart said.

"Obviously Old Spice has been with us for 10 years. Office Deport is new to us, but we already feel like they are family within the short amount of time we have worked together with them. We are really excited."

"We already have been joking around that we have a can that we have to put $10 in every time someone says Home Depot instead of Office Depot. We are trying to figure out who will fill it up first."

The two companies have split the sponsorship of the No.14 red and black car of Stewart with Office Depot taking 60 percent and Old Spice the remaining 40 percent.

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Stewart already working on new team
Earnhardt tips Stewart to succeed
Haas: Stewart will transform team
Gordon expects close ties with Stewart
Stewart couldn't miss owner chance
Gibbs and Stewart part on good terms
Toyota support JGR on Stewart exit
Stewart set to announce Haas deal
Burton would welcome Stewart at RCR
Stewart admits to considering options
Stewart linked to Haas move
Haymarket