Franchitti not set yet for Chicago
|By Diego Mejia||Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 15:38 GMT|
Dario Franchitti has been entered by Chip Ganassi Racing for this weekend's Nationwide Series race at Chicagoland but team officials would not confirm yet whether the Scot will actually race or not.
Franchitti appears on the official entry list for Friday's event in the No. 40 Fastenal Dodge, but team officials told autosport.com that he is not confirmed yet to drive the car this weekend.
His ride is still pending on discussions between Franchitti and Ganassi, which are set to take place in the next couple of days, with a decision expected to allow for a definitive announcement on his status for the rest of the season by the end of this week.
Chip Ganassi has offered Franchitti to drive in the Nationwide Series as one of the options to keep his stock car career going following the closure of the No. 40 Sprint Cup team he was racing with last week.
The Scot is also said to have an offer to return to the IndyCar Series with Ganassi if he wishes to, but last week he said that option was rather unlikely as he still wants to succeed in his transition to stock cars.
Should Franchitti compete in the reminder of the Nationwide Series calendar, he would have the chance to race for a second time at most of the tracks he visited in the first half of the season.