autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Teams remain silent on Mosley scandal

F1 team principals, Barcelona, 2008Formula One teams are to remain silent for now on the scandal surrounding FIA president Max Mosley, despite attempts by some bosses to issue a formal joint-statement on the matter.

The issue was discussed at the end of a team bosses' meeting in the Toyota motorhome at the Spanish Grand Prix on Saturday morning.

The get-together was called initially to discuss the future direction of KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems). However, amid the backdrop of the ongoing controversy surrounding Mosley's presidency, there were talks between the team bosses and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone about that matter.

Sources at the meeting said that although the majority of team bosses expressed concerns about the impact the Mosley controversy was having on F1, any plans for voicing their opinions in a statement were dropped for the moment, as there was not unanimous support for the idea.

Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso said they were unable to commit without further internal consultation. Ferrari declined to comment at all on the matter.

Most teams are believed to be unwilling to express their feelings unless every team is involved.

Although car manufacturers BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota and Honda issued statements at the Bahrain Grand Prix expressing concern at the Mosley situation, there has not yet been any formal comment on the matter from other F1 teams.

Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber is the only figure within the sport who has openly spoken out in criticising Mosley, and he has been left angry by the silence of other senior figures.

When asked about why he chose to make recent comments about Mosley bringing the sport into disrepute, Webber said: "I had a big interview set up with Sky Sports for ages. I just thought I'd answer the question. And I have a column with the BBC.

"So I thought it doesn't make sense not to do something on Sky Sports and then not to mention something with the media who have been very understanding with me through the whole pathetic thing that we have had, in terms of us having to be quiet.

"Actually I didn't say too much anyway. If you read the quotes I don't really say a huge amount."

He added: "It is a bit pathetic if Sky wants to do a big interview about the sport I am involved in and I sit there saying no comment. I am trying to represent the sport."

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen said earlier this week that his team had no choice but to wait until Mosley's meeting with the FIA general assembly in June for the matter to play itself out.

"It is a situation we have to accept and we respect that," he said. "It is now down to the FIA and they have to make their own plans in how to deal with it."

  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Mosley loses UK media law case
Mosley 'knows' who set him up
Mosley seeking change in privacy law
Mosley not ruling out staying at the FIA
Teams more willing to meet with Mosley
Haymarket