Tracy still keen to find IndyCar seat
|By Steven English||Friday, April 4th 2008, 18:54 GMT|
Champ Car veteran Paul Tracy is still hoping to land a drive in the reunified IndyCar series and believes he is no longer under contract to previous team Forsythe Racing.
The 39-year-old Canadian, who won the Champ Car title in 2003, wanted to switch to IndyCar with Forsythe but the team abandoned their plans to join the series.
Tracy is still happy to race for Forsythe in the final Champ Car event at Long Beach next month, but wants to line up another drive for the rest of the season.
"According to my legal advice, Gerry (Forsythe) has terminated the contract I had, so that makes me a free agent," Tracy told American website SpeedTV's Robin Miller. "I'm more than willing to drive at Long Beach for him, and I told the team that, but they haven't confirmed it yet.
"But I know this, I don't want to watch any more races on television - I want to be in them."
Forsythe are rumoured to have signed Tracy's team-mate from last season, Mexican driver David Martinez for the Long Beach event, but have yet to announce their plans for Tracy.
Tracy had been hoping to arrange a deal with one of the leading IndyCar teams, Andretti-Green, Chip Ganassi, or Penske but with their seats now filled, he's looking elsewhere and aims to be in a car for the Indianapolis 500 – in which he finished second in 2002.
"I definitely want to run at the Indy 500 again, and I'd like to run at least one race before May but I'm running out of time," he said.
"I'm open to run for any team with a budget to run a competitive car," said Tracy, who has been linked to IndyCar boss Tony George's Vision Racing team. "I know I can still go quick and I want to be part of this unified series."