Wurz says retirement from racing is final
|By Jonathan Noble||Monday, January 21st 2008, 11:39 GMT|
Alexander Wurz insists he has not backtracked on his decision to retire from Formula One by taking a testing role with Honda Racing.
The Austrian decided to step down from racing after last year's Chinese Grand Prix and had been expected to focus on sportscars, before announcing earlier this month that he was to become Honda's third and reserve driver.
Although that role means he will be present at every race this year, Wurz says he has not had a change of heart about his involvement in Formula One.
"I retired from active Formula One racing but have always said that I love testing and development work," wrote Wurz on his official website.
"I was not sure if I had the energy to complete a full season as race driver. You must know that the thing we drivers love, which is of course driving these cars and pushing them to the limits, is about 10 percent of what we really do.
"And of course I still love the driving. With the opportunity at Honda a perfect situation has come up to test in a team which has now collected such good people. And being part of the Honda Racing family is exactly what I was looking for."
Wurz has also confirmed that he will be racing at Le Mans this year, with Peugeot favourite for his services, although says he is unable to reveal any details just yet.
"On this matter I will be able to speak more about after the team has done an official announcement," he said. "But I am certain I will be at the famous race at the Sarthe, a race which has fascinated me ever since the start of my career."