Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Mallya tells India to stay realistic

Force India Formula One team co-owner Vijay Mallya has warned the country not to expect too much from the team in 2008 despite a big budget increase

The Indian billionaire bought into the Spyker team and renamed it after last season and interest has been drummed up further through advertisements about "the force of a billion hearts."

After announcing Italian Giancarlo Fisichella and German Adrian Sutil as the drivers for the new season on Thursday, Mallya called for expectations to be "reasonable and practical".

"I do not for a minute underestimate the challenges before me and my team," Mallya said after announcing the budget for the season as $120 million, an increase of $50 million from last year.

"I have said that we will not produce any miracles in 2008, but we will certainly demonstrate to the world that Force India is going firmly in the right direction up the grid."

Cricket-crazy India, with 1.1 billion people and the fastest growing major economy after China, is seen as a potential market for other sports.

"My objective is by 2010, when India will host their first-ever F1 Grand Prix, that Force India Formula One team will rightfully occupy a place in the podium. That doesn't mean we can't get to the podium earlier," he added.

Some had expected Force India to hand a lifeline to Narain Karthikeyan, who became the country's first Formula One driver in 2005 and tested with Williams last year.

"I had to choose the drivers very, very carefully because here is a team that also needs to learn," Mallya said.

"The engineering team needs to benefit from the inputs of the drivers. In that purpose no Indian driver fitted the bill."

Mallya said it was a proud moment personally and for the whole of India.

"We understand India is a big country, we understand the name of the team is Force India and that there is going to be many, many Indians closely watching the performance of this team.

"And to them we owe our best efforts and our best performance. There is not going to be any compromise whatsoever. But expectation levels also need to be reasonable and practical."

Previous article Fisichella says he only considered F1
Next article Toyota's F1 presence not linked with wins

Top Comments